In 1936 a group of 15 met in the home of Paul Stephens for
free Pentecostal worship to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
This dedicated group of pioneers sought the will of God and
organized the first Cartersville Church of God.
Later in 1940 as the congregation grew, the people moved into
their first church building on Moon Street. Continued growth
led the people to build a block church on Elizabeth Street
where they continued to worship until 1973.
At that time they built an even larger facility on Elizabeth
Street where the membership grew from 75 to 584 in just seven
Sunday, 1980, the congregation moved to a new
sanctuary with educational facilities on Old Mill
Road. A 36,000 square foot Family Life Center was
completed in 1988.
(See photo on left)
Childcare, which began in the
educational facilities of the main church building in
1990, quickly reached full capacity that demanded a
separate facility on the Church of God campus. The
grand opening of the present state-of-the-art child
care center took place in March of 1994.
Excel Christian Academy
opened its doors in the fall of 1993.
With S.A.C.S. accreditation, current enrollment is near 400
students in grades Kindergarten through 12th.
With membership topping 2500 and overwhelming growth
in every area on campus, the church congregation made
the decision in 1995 to purchase 186 acres for the
purpose of relocating the church and all of her
Liberty Square, as the new development
is called, is located on north Hwy. 411 and is
bordered by Cline-Smith Road on the east.
In January 2003, the church family moved to the new
facilities at Liberty Square. A new church needed a
new name, so the Cartersville Church of God became The
Church at Liberty Square.
Watch Commemorative Video,
Celebrating 25 Years of His-story,
and learn more about The Church at Liberty Square.
It is the goal of the church to minister to people of
every race and creed from the cradle to the grave.